Visit Manuka Lodge
Manuka is a purposely designed, two-storey house with four guest bedrooms, sleeping up to ten people in total. Two of our guest rooms are downstairs and two upstairs. All rooms have private en-suite bathrooms and one of these, our queen room, has been designed for people with specific mobility requirements. We offer accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis.
With Turoa ski field a spectacular 20 minute drive away, Ohakune is the ultimate winter destination. In addition to offering some of the best skiing in NZ, it has a great selection of Après-ski to keep you entertained for several days of winter activities.
- NZ's longest ski season (beginning of Jul to end of Oct)
- NZ's largest lift access terrain (over 1000 hectares, 9 lifts, 4 T-bars, 2 platters & 2 magic carpets)
- Over 50 groomed trails
- NZ's highest lift elevation (2322m)
- Longest vertical run in Australasia (722m)
- One lift pass gets you access to both Turoa and Whakapapa ski areas on Mt Ruapehu
- Both ski areas lie within Tongariro World Heritage National Park
- The best spring skiing in NZ (from September on)
- Outstanding facilities for all abilities
- Great accessibility from either Auckland or Wellington airports
The hype proclaims the Tongariro Crossing to be the best one day hike in New Zealand. It is certainly a very special day out: nowhere else can you experience such otherworldly landscapes, and in a country proliferating in variety scenery-wise, the Tongariro Crossing stands out as extraordinarily diverse.
The third longest river in New Zealand, the Whanganui rises on the slopes of Mount Tongariro, winding off the Central Plateau west down to Taumarunui, where it gains stature before turning south to snake its way through thick native forest to Wanganui town and the sea. Much of its 290km is navigable; the river was an important transport link long before road and rail connections were engineered through the landscape. It therefore has a rich history and is steeped in Maori mystique. Learn all about it on a day trip to the Bridge To Nowhere with Wanganui River Adventures or travel down it in a canoe and experience what's said to be one of New Zealands Great Walks on water. Numerous companies operate trips out of Ohakune. Ask us for more info.